Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Another post about TV... but with drawings!

I finally got The Mister to watch an episode of Jim Henson's Creature Shop Challenge with me last night.  Which quickly turned into watching TWO episodes of JHCSC last night with The Mister.  And I don't want to be all "I told you so," but I've been trying to get him to sit down and watch that show with me for like, well maybe a week.   Because I KNEW!  Come on, it's a show that mixes art/puppetry with electronic engineering.  How is that not the best show that's ever existed for a couple like us?

So far, we're both really glad that Tina is gone.  What is she doing with her life besides being a whiny poster-child for the focus-challenged?

The only problem is that now I have last night's episode on the DVR and I don't feel like I can watch it until the Mister comes home and is all caught up with me.

Meanwhile, I've had ideas stuck in my head because last night, just before we went to sleep, the Mister said "you would rock at JHCSC."*

Thus, instead of visions of sugarplums dancing through my head as I drifted off to sleep, I sketched out my entries into some of my favorite creature briefs already given (not last night's, because as we've already covered, I can't watch that one yet.)  Since I need to get into better practice with my tablet, I figured, what better opportunity?

EPISODE 1:  Peter Brooke mentors the Creature Designers into building the full-bodied puppet of a never-before-seen sea creature.

The Hoarder Crab - on STILTS! (why didn't anyone use stilts?!)
The puppeteer's arms are in first set of legs, his/her legs in back set of legs.  And the second set of legs are attached to the arms across from them so they move opposite each other.  
Claws are of lightweight material, rest against the front arms, and are mechanized to open & close.  Eyes remote-control to turn 180* for vision.  

*not pictured* I’d attach a bunch of ocean debris on his back with moss and old rope.  As he shuffles through the ocean, he collects things to “decorate” his shell to make him more attractive to a mate.  (make sure there’s a fork/dinglehopper on there for Ariel)*
I also debated how cool it would look to have a paint job like he was see-through - many deep sea creatures just don't have pigment in their skin/shells, because why bother if nothing will ever see it?  Buuuuuut then I figured I probably would have run out of time to do all that.



Episode 4:  Peter Brooke mentors the Creature Designers when they create a fantasy creature that has been slain and returns to life as a hunting trophymounted on the wall at the Wizard's Mansion. The slain fantasy creature must be made from an animal foam mold which will be given to the Mold Makers to have the molds made for the slain creature. The project must include puppetry with some mechanisms in it which must be performed on the Wizard's Mansion set with the hunting trophy explaining how it ended up in this fate.
Antioch the Foogerman.  Ferocious beast guarding the front gate of the castle garden.  Can snarl, blink, and move his ears.  Horns would are curly-goat like for no reason other than looking more intimidating.  Scaly texture as protective armor around temples and under neck.  Voice is a little like “Dug” from Up. Loyal to the end, never leaves his post.  Saw a bunny near the magic turnips and ran after it.  Turned out to be the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog from Monty Python.  Growls at any mention of bunnies or squirrels, birds, etc.  Really wishes he could lick his butt.  Really wishes he knew where his butt went.





I'm not even going to pretend that this personality isn't 100% based upon Mac.

Episode 5:  John Criswell mentors the Creature Creators where they create a large-scale believable creature that has real movement while running their ideas with teams' appointed puppeteers. They will also use UV paint to make it glow in the dark as part of a way to bring it to life in the dark. The large-scale creatures will be performed in the black light room.
Floating Nightmare Squid.
Puppeteer one would carry the backpack and be in charge of the two “squid” legs in front via a pole with cables attached to the ends of the arrows.  puppeteer two would be behind the squid operating the UMBRELLA that all the other legs are attached to.  Infrastructure of the legs would be constructed to curl up a bit as they open and straighten as they close (like the tail that the dinosaur Josh and Lex made, except thinner)  inside of legs would be white and bright as a defense mechanism/ scaring off predators and alerting other squids of danger, ala white-tail deer.  accents of red , and should time allow, an lighted eye that changes color from red to yellow depending upon mood.  A risk, I know, because the stage is set for an above water scene.  Go big or go home I say!


Have you ever thought you would be a fantastic contestant on a competition show?  
Which show and why?  Tell me in the comments!


*that's really sweet of him ot say because I have 0 understanding of how 'servos' work.   But I could make some really kick ass creatures that don't move.  Or maybe I should just learn how servos work.  Practical knowledge? No.  Fun knowledge? YES.

No comments: