Friday, August 02, 2013

Time for a catch-up post!

Catch-up.  Ketchup.  Haha.  Get it?

Yeah okay, sorry. (I'm not sorry.)

We've been busy, and as previously stated, the arts that make me moneys are the arts that get priority over blogging.  You understand.  In any case, it's a good problem to have.

Plus then when I finish up said arts, I can share teasers of them here.  So everybody wins.
                    
We have some friends who own a little ma-and-pa type diner.  We eat... well conservatively we eat there 3 times a week.  Usually it's more than that.  It's fun, friendly, the food is yummy, and the prices are typically cheaper than what it would take for me to purchase the same food to make at the house.  We don't have to do dishes.  Plus we're regulars so we don't even have to order.  We just sit down and they bring us the same thing we order every time.  Sweet.  
Kelly, at Kelly's Cafe, hard at work.

Each place setting at this place has a little paper placemat at it.  As I'm sure you can guess, paper placemats will instantly cause me to doodle at a restaurant.  I don't ever keep those doodle-mats, it just gives me something to do while I wait for my food - when we're done eating that mat gets left behind.  Kelly's Cafe opened three years ago - after I think the third time we'd eaten there, I left behind a doodle, and we returned to the restaurant the next time to see that they had taped my doodle to the wall.

It quickly became a collection, and I loved that soon my doodles were surrounded on that wall by doodles from little kids who wanted to join the fun.  Eventually, they asked me if I would draw the restaurant's matriarch, Kelly.  So I did.

And then that became the logo on their menus.

That logo was where we started from when I designed their website for them.  

When THEN that whole set served as a style-reference when they opened up an ice cream shop next door, and asked me to help them with a logo for that place.

I've talked about Charlie's Sweet Treats here before, I painted their front window a while back for the grand opening.  I'm happy to report from experience that the ice cream is so choice.
And they give free flavor samples on those little spoons.  
Birthday cake* ice cream you say?  Well I don't mind if I DOoOoOoO.
Now Charlie's has a website to go with Kelly's Cafe (live -though it's still under construction).  Simple, but fun projects to file away for FINvites**.

Then they gave me one of my most fun projects to date:  They needed a kiddie-menu for both places.
Say what?  I'm all over that like stink on a monkey.
All printed, packaged and ready to go to the restaurant!

Tomorrow The Mister and I are headed out there to help them with a fundraiser they're hosting for the Burn Camp.  The Mister will be the dude in the dunk tank for a bit.  I'll be the one painting faces.  If you're in the K-zoo area, come on out and get a silly thing painted on your face by me.  Or bring your kids an have them get something silly painted on their face.  Or dunk The Mister in a tank filled with super cold hose-water.  Any and all of these options are winners.


As you can see, I have many face paint designs to chose from.  You will be super fashionable.

Thank you to Kelly and her family - not only have you helped keep FINvites in business, but you've given me some super fun projects in the process.

I / FINvites has also taken this time to design a few projects for some future newly weds.  We did this 100% custom-start-to-finish wedding invite for a bride and groom who are throwing a rock-n-roll themed wedding in a few weeks.  I wish we could have convinced them to order RSVP cards from us too - I would have loved to make cards that look like those "Subscribe now!" mailer inserts that magazines like Rolling Stone always shove between the glossy pages to go with their magazine-cover look.

Last but certainly not least, these save the dates are ready to get shipped out to our groomschick, who's getting hitched in January.  We're both pretty excited for her and her soon to be hubby - me because she's letting me design all her wedding stationery, and The Mister, because she asked him to be her bridesdude (which I'm also excited about because The Mister cleans up pretty good). 

*As it is actually my birthday on Monday, I believe I have license to eat much, much more of that birthday cake ice cream than just the tiny spoonful pictured.

**What's FINvites you ask?  I'd pretend to be offended, but I don't talk about the stationery company I share with The Mister here on this site enough for that to be a fair reaction.  Here.  Learn yourself. 

2 comments:

Heather said...

Hose water! The best part of dunk tanks is knowing the person you dunk is going into cold hose water.

Queen Holly the Magnificent said...

Now I want ice cream. I mean I have ice cream at my house right now, but it's the cheap kind that comes in a plastic tub. I usually tell myself I am buying a small farm bucket that happens to contain ice cream. But now I want like quality ice cream. Or maybe dinner.

Or maybe I shouldn't read blogs when I am hungry. Or visit kick ass restaurant sites that are several states away. :)