Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Let's Play Catch Up for a Minute

Quick post today just to share information.  It'll be like back when I did Random Section Time, except there's no regular post on top of that.

That sounds fun, right?

In true tradition, a random picture will be starting us off.  Awwww.

1.  According to WebMD, I either have cancer, or carpal-tunnel syndrome in my right hand.  How very helpful.  I don't actually think it's either of those, but my thumb joint seems to have decided it will only do so much thumbing each day and then is starts to hurt in a way that is reminiscent of putting my hand in a car door and repeatedly slamming it.  So.  Cartoons/ comics.  I shall try to do them, but I have a few people currently paying me to do real arting, which takes precedence over blog comics. I'll try to make sure there are still funny things to look at here, even if I didn't make them.
I would be lying if I said Mac has never done this.

2.  Wanna see some of that art I'm arting?  AND/ OR, are you looking for a place in town that serves Sherman's Ice Cream (if you are not from the Southwest Michigan area, you should know that apparently Sherman's Ice Cream is the best ice cream that the powers that be ever allowed mere mortals to taste), then I humbly suggest Charlie's Sweet Treats.  (located on Westnedge in the same shopping center as Jac's Pizza and Choclatea) I did their logo work for them, and then I painted their front window (this maybe started the thumb retaliation of 2013), and I even re-painted a big cut out ice cream cone they found at a flea market that is now hung up in the store next to the menu (the menu I also did, but isn't really design-y as it is just a list of prices).  They've offered to let me show some of my sellable art there too, so I'll keep you posted on that. [click a pic to embiggen]
The start of window painting

The finish of the window painting... many hours later.

Before and After of the flea-market ice cream cone.

3.  I am no longer working at the large corporate petstore as a pet trainer.  Originally, I turned in my resignation there because The Mister and I were pretty positive we were moving.  That's on the back burner for now (horrible housing market), however by the time that developed I didn't really feel like I could go backsies on quitting.  But that's okay!  I've realized a few more things that I'm thankful for in this decision, so I'm happy it happened.
peace out, petstore.
I have weekends back (I was working EVERY weekend, even if it was a holiday), which means the two days a week that my husband is home I can hang out with him, or, you know, I can go on road trips with him now.  I can plan my schedule more than a week in advance (I've learned I'm not cut out for working retail).   And I got a new job.  I'm back to working at a school.  Doing office-type work like I was used to, on a regular schedule.  All good things.  Plus, I take with me all that knowledge I gained on how to train dogs, and proper puppy toys/ nutrition, so wins.  Wins all around.

4.  I won't be doing a blog post tomorrow as usual, but there WILL be a post on Thursday.  This past weekend, Mac competed in the Greek Fest belly-dancing competition for the SPCA, which I mentioned a few weeks ago.  He's still leaving glitter all over the house.  I should have video of that by Thursday.  I think it's safe to say that's worth the wait, right?
tiny teaser pic of us with our dancing mentor.

5.  I joined a Summer Adult Reading Program with the local library - every time I finish reading a book, I get one entry into a raffle for some fantabulous prize.  Though I technically qualify for the ADULT program, I chuckle a bit because I tend to read, and enjoy, the really quick YA type novels.  Whatever, they're good, y'all.  It's motivating me to keep my nose in a book even more than is usual for me, which might mean a semi-regular book report here on KpQuePasa.  Not so much today, but I do want to quickly mention two of the latest books I finished:

The Fault In Our Stars - John Green.  The story here follows a pair of teens who are afflicted/ have been afflicted with cancer.  I couldn't put it down, the story was addicting and I really love the snarky wit John uses to write his characters (Green has other books all cast with teens that have truthful and amusing banter/ narration).  The last 150 pages or so I ended up having to read in one go, because I couldn't possibly put it down and have to disconnect from it for a second.  This frustrated the Mister, who really just wanted to watch a movie or something, and I was all "BUT- AGUSTUS!"
The Fault In Our Stars - I SUPER recommend. 

The Bar Code Tattoo - Suzanne Weyn.  You know how books have a dedication page usually?  This one had a quote:  "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way." - Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.   And I... UGH.  
Context - the head professor of my grad program treated this book like the bible.  Which is not bad, because truly that quote is spot on - you can't choose what people do, or change them, you can only choose how YOU react to it.  And really, if you wanted to condense every inch of my coursework into one sentence, that would be. IT.  But I read that dedication page and I had pause, because I didn't want this book to be like a story about grad school.  
Know what?  It wasn't.  Because the author entirely, and I mean ENTIRELY missed the point of that quote.  Unfortunately, that was in a bad way.  
The entire story and how it was 'related to Frankl' made me cringe, the writing was choppy.  It really felt like it was written by a kid who was fantasizing this big-brother style futuristic world (which is more or less what the book is about), but who was too excited to get to the plot twists to actually flesh anything out in-between.  Major characters came and went in the span of 10 pages.  It made the book itself feel stupid to me.  And by stupid I mean unintelligent.  I was mad at it.  The last 150 pages or so I read in one go, not because it was good but because I was sick of reading it and I wanted to be able to just add it to my list for the library already.  Apparently English teachers have students read this one for class.  What a waste.  
The Bar Code Tattoo - there are way better books out there.  If you need a big brother future book, try these instead: The Giver or The Hunger Games Series.


Any good books you know of that I should check out this summer?  
Tell me in the comments!

See you Thursday!

3 comments:

Kate Y said...

First of all, glad to hear that you got that job! I can't wait to see you and hear more about it!

Secondly, I have never heard of Sherman's Ice Cream until this blog post... Weird...

Queen Holly the Magnificent said...

I enjoyed the Hunger Games. Well at least the first book. I still have a book a coworker lent me to read, but I've been so busy that I haven't even had time to read the title.

This time of year man, it's killer.

Jen Anderson said...

I loved Railsea (YA) and Where'd You Go, Bernadette? I've been recommending them like crazy.