Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Original Rump Shaker

Great.  Now I have that song stuck in my head. (by which I mean I have that one part- Blackstreet and Teddy, the Original Rumpshaker- of No Diggity stuck in my head, not Rumpshaker.  Though both are equally cliché songs to age myself by, No Diggity has a puppet playing piano in the video.  So they win.)

Where was I?  Oh right.  Rumpshaking.

I'm trying to find a way to be concise about this explanation.  Here's my best attempt.


Last weekend, we were asked to do something a little different -
Mac is a contestant in the 2013 Kalamazoo Greek Fest Shimmy Contest.

What are you doing Saturday, June 8th?  From 4:30 to 5?  Because if you were gonna check out Greek Fest anyway (and why wouldn't you?  I plan to eat my weight in grape leaves.), might I suggest you carve out that time to come watch my dog compete against local human celebrities in a BELLY DANCING competition.

Would I make that up?  No.  Come on, you know you want to see that ridiculousness.

Each contestant has a cause they are dancing for, and you can "vote" for your favorite by donating some money to those causes.  Highest earnings wins.

Mac, obviously, will be dancing for the Southwest Michigan SPCA, and if you see volunteers walking around with SPCA canisters, we would be much obliged if you'd pop in a buck or two.

Also bring your friends, if for no other reason that I've more or less decided I have no hope of running for political office ever, and the more cell phones to capture this absurdity as future blackmail for me, the better.  Hell, I might even post them here next week.

we're practicing inside because Michigan is trying to rain ALL THE WATER today.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go back to sewing jingle-bells on his belly-dancing costume, practicing our best dancing commands, and brainstorming a stage name for him.  (I rather like Mac-in-toddy Shakes-his-body, don't you?)

I'm all ears for good stage name suggestions, friends.  Krista Hatcher from the radio is going as the Ginger Shaker, and I'll be darned if I can't at least top that for a dancing pseudo-nynm.  Tell me in the Comments!

Keep in mind this is the last weekend for SPCAwesome month - where 50% of my etsy monster proceeds goes to the SPCA.  So check out the store while you're at it!

Wow, I'm really demanding lately.  I promise if you put up with it a bit longer, I'll share a silly story on Wednesday. :)  Also no post on Monday - enjoy the holiday weekend if you're in the states!

5 comments:

Heather said...

This has made my day! I'm expecting some great video of all this.

Jen Anderson said...

Every good performer needs a gimmick. And being a dog is a pretty unique one--none of the other contestants will be a dog.

Queen Holly the Magnificent said...

I am beginning to suspect that Mac has a better social life then I do. I don't know how to feel about that.

Kp said...

I feel ya Holly. He gets recognized when we're in public.

And don't worry, there will be video.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Love this...and now that song will be ni my head all day :) I hope you have a wonderful weekend my friend!!