Monday, April 22, 2013

SPCAwesome!

Happy Monday friends!

I mean, as happy as a Monday can be.  I hope you're doing swell even though there's an entire week in the way of the weekend.

If you're new here, welcome!  The name's Kristin, though I go by KpMcD, and I'm a graphic designer, artist, and accredited dog trainer.  If you'd like to know more about the antics me and my two rescued critters (Mac, the Doberman-mix, and Bubba, the marmalade tabby) enjoy, I'd suggest the following posts to get you started as you bop around this little corner of the internet that I call home:

Bubba:
  • Fabu Feline - The story of how I came to adopt Bubba
  • A Garfield Kind of Cat - when my husband and I lived in Mexico, we got a lot of comments about how Bubs is a bit fat.  He's... well he's not fat, but he's probably husky.
  • Fatty Tabby 2x4 - Okay he's a bit tubby.
  • Jingle Bells - That one horrifying time we lost Bubba.  On the streets of urban Mexico.
Mac:
  • Moving Mac - my husband and I just got back from living in Mexico for a year.  We took our critters with us - this is how we got a big old dobie-mix south of the border.
  • Service 1/3 - Mac is my service dog.  This is the first in a 3-part blog about how he came to be that.
  • Six Step Program - The first day Mac was in Mexico with us.
  • Mac-nificent Ring Bearer - Mac was the ring-bearer for our wedding this past October.  Here's how that went.
  • Mac Does Something Awesome - This link will take you to a whole series of posts that I do each Wednesday where I upload a video of a silly trick Mac does.
Past that, thanks for stopping by and I'm pumped to have you visit. :)
***

We sure are doing swell over here at KpQuePasa, I tell you what.
So last week, if you stuck with me through all the long text and seriousness, I talked about Mac in his role as a service dog.  And that's important, certainly, but I like to stick to cheery things here when possible, so today let's talk about how 

MAC WON A MAJOR AWARD THIS PAST WEEKEND.

Specifically, Mac won the "If they could see me now" contest, put on by the Southwest Michigan SPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals).  The contest was/ is to showcase the great turn-around "rags to riches" adopted pets can have, and the great pets that rescued animals can make.  I submitted a photo of Mac, and an essay detailing how Mac went from a mangy (literally, he had mange) shelter puppy to the distinguished canine he is today.


Mac will be getting a professional photo shoot soon, and a commemorative brick at the SPCA's rescue center, but more exciting to both Mac and I - Mac gets to represent the SW Michigan SPCA at... stuff!

We haven't gotten too many details about said stuff yet, but presentations, fundraising events... I believe that's what we're talking about.   I am SO, so flattered that the good people at the SPCA saw in my puppy what I see in him, and are giving him the opportunity to show off to the greater critter-loving populace of Southwest Michigan.  We'll keep you posted.

{I'm also really humbled that they were so kind as to share this-here KpQuePasa web-site with those who receive the SPCA's monthly newsletter*, so that folks could come and learn more about the dog who's going to do good deeds out in the world on the behalf of their dogs and cats.  We're going to work hard to make you proud.}

We went to the actual SPCA's rescue center this past Saturday to accept the award and have a few pictures taken, and I wanted to make sure that Mac looked his best for the occasion.  So I made him a tie.  And then I made a few more.  Then we decided:


In the spirit of SPCA love, the KpQuePasa Etsy Monster has a few new things up for sale.  And if you buy any one of the things (old or new) listed up at the Monster right now, Mac and I will donate 50% of the proceeds to the Southwest Michigan SPCA on any sale made up through the end of May.


Help your large-breed puppy cement his business-casual image with a Dapper Dog Neck Tie (Why do little &/ girlie dogs get ALL the cool accessories?  Not anymore I say).  Display your dog's Rewards/Treats with style in your very own etched dog-cookie jar!  I'm planning on getting some cat-friendly things listed by the end of the week. 

You can even contact me through Etsy for a custom creation of your liking - Want a cat treat jar (Bubba approves.)?  Or want your dog's name on something?  Or a customized Mac Does Something Awesome Jar of your very own?  I'm on it!

Do you have a rescued pet?  
What's the best thing about them?  
Tell me in the comments!

Bubba is just not ready to get up yet today, but he'll be excited about this all in good time.

*Here's the link to the SPCA newsletter where Mac was announced, and a link to our essay!

5 comments:

Danielle said...

That is so awesome! I love the ties and wish I had an animal to put them on, but I'm pretty sure our fish would not approve. =) Way to go!

Queen Holly the Magnificent said...

Wow. Mac is sure getting around. Hell at this point he probably has a better resume then me.:)

Kellie @ Delightfully Ludicrous said...

Mac! You're going to be a spokesman ... spokesdog? Yeah, spokesdog.

Congrats!!!

Kp said...

Thanks all! His resume is certainly gaining some serious "power phrases!" :)

Kate Y said...

This is so awesome! Congrats, Mac! :)