Friday, January 25, 2013

Top 5 Awesome Ads

Having a nice chill day-off here at Casa QuePasa.

Shh, no one tell them we have a vet appointment later.  No Rabies for my Babies.

Dude.  that should be a shirt slogan for vet clinics: Come get your Rabies Vaccines Today!  No Rabies for your {fur} Babies!
(do you run a vet-clinic?  Because I will design those for you.  fo'sheezy.)

That kind of leads me into today's topic.  As you may know, I have a background in graphic design.  Every once in a while, I take on side projects in my spare time to design a logo or the face of a website. Sometimes people ask me for some help with their advertisements.  It's all fun and keeps my creative juices going and in tune.  Everybody wins.

Being a good design-type person means you are always on the look-out for new and cool ways to get people's attention.  Things that are out of the box.  And so today I wanted to share some of my recent favorites with you folks.

Top 5 KpMcD Approved Ad Campaigns (in no particular order):

1.  RUN, Save yourselves! What has long been my favorite commercial, back in the 90's Sprite put out a commercial that made fun of the traditional kid's drink mascots.  (I can't even tell you how happy I am that I could find this on YouTube.)
Because really if a tiny 3-d sun jumped off of my drink bottle I would flip out too!




clearly I am not adverse to all mascots.








Have a favorite product mascot?  
Who and what for? Tell me in the comments!

2.  Matt Damon's revenge.  I don't know if you like talk shows, but if you do, you might be aware of Jimmy Kimmel Live's Jimmy Kimmel and his [fictional] rivalry with Matt Damon.

It started way back when Jimmy's then-girlfriend Sarah Silverman made a video spoof where she "admitted" to having a side fling with Matt Damon.  Jimmy then began a habit of signing off his show by saying that Matt Damon was supposed to be a guest but they ran out of time for him.  Long story short, Jimmy recently switched time-slots for when his show airs, and to gain a publicity boost, Matt Damon stepped in and got Jimmy back for all the public snubs.

I love inside jokes, and I feel like this is an inside joke that everyone's kind of in on.  It still makes me feel special that I understand exactly why this is hilarious.  HE TOOK OVER THE WHOLE SHOW with Jimmy duct taped and gagged in a chair behind him.  They stayed in character the whole time.  Bravo, gentlemen.


3.  TNT's Drama Button.  TNT (The channel we here in the states have long associated with marathons of cop shows and "drama"), has recently gone international, and they decided to get the attention of their new audience in the most "in your face" way possible.
They actually got up in their faces.  In real life.  And then showed them what "drama" is all about.

Twice!

It's like extreme flash-mobbing.  I can't, it's just brilliant.

Would you have pushed the button?

4.  JELL-O SAVED US ALL.  Apparently there was a whole line of lead-ups to this one commercial, but I only ever saw the final one and it still stood out fantastically.  Remember back in December on the 21st how the Mayans predicted we were all going to die in a horrible apolcalypse?  This aired the day after that.
I remember actually looking at The Mister and saying something to the effect of "DID YOU SEE THAT?  That was genius!  The dude who thought that up had better be getting a bu-cu raise, like yesterday."  Way to take something so culturally relevant and use it to your advantage, Jell-o!

5.  Where's the Gorilla?  Not gonna lie, this is the ad campaign which inspired this entire post.  Here in Kalamazoo there is a gaming company called S2Games.  Their mascot is a gorilla named Kongor, and they have billboards all over the SW Michigan area.  I've always been impressed with their boards, because they're very talented at using 3-D elements.  Now they've begun telling a story, and to say I am absolutely obsessed with where it's going could safely be the understatement of 2013.

First we got to see the Gorilla.  His fingers stuck out from the billboard.  his eyes glowed.
It was pretty boss.
Suddenly he was gone.  
(This was such a subtle change from the original billboard that I'm sure most people - including me- didn't even notice it for a few days.)

Now, I believe there was another board in between here that I can't find a picture of, but it was something to the effect of "Missing: One Giant Gorilla.  Answers to Kongor."

Then the Bananas came.
This is the 2-D version, but they also had a few with a giant 3-D banana hanging on a string from the board.

A few days ago it changed.  The "Here gorilla gorilla" message still stands, but the bannanas have all been eaten.  (I would go out and take a picture of one, but I would likely crash the car while trying ot snap it) All that remains are giant 3-D peels perched from the tops of the billboards.  I literally squealed with joy when I saw it.  And then almost swerved Dora off the road because EYES ON THE ROAD, KPMcD.  I am entranced.  Where is Kongor?  When will we see him again?  IT'S SOO GOOD PEOPLE.

Do you geek out over advertisements?  
What's the best one you've seen?  I want to know!

In other news, tomorrow is my last day in training for this new job I keep off-handedly mentioning.  Assuming I pass my "final exam"  I will officially be accredited by 5PM tomorrow.  Keep your fingers crossed for me, I can't wait to tell you a little more about it Monday!

3 comments:

Queen Holly the Magnificent said...

Oh god you had better hope that it is an ad campaign and you aren't about to have your roof ripped off by a giant murder gorilla.

Kp said...

I couldn't tell you why I laughed so hard at the phrase "Giant murder gorilla," but I actually snorted.

Rikki said...

For the record, check your email. I most definitely sent that before reading this "I take on side projects" post.