Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Everyday I'm Shovelin'

Hey Y'all -

No Wedding Wednesday today, sorry.  I do have one more to write about what I learned on my honeymoon, but I think it's going to have to wait until next week.  Over the past few days (and right now apparently) we got dumped on with lake effect snow here in Kalamazoo.

If that's a phrase that is lost on you, the basic gist is if you live next to a big body of water you usually get a lot more snow than areas w/o large lakes in the same conditions would get.  As Kalamazoo is fairly close to a GREAT Lake (Lake Michigan what what), we've been rather walloped the last few days.

Apparently our sub-division is beneath the city officials, as we have yet to be properly plowed out, but more importantly the end of our driveway where the Mister and I have backed out onto snow a few times has now become rock hard ice... and thus instead of spending the morning being a cheery wedding blogger I shall instead be outside chipping ice from the base of our drive.


Silver lining.  This is good exercise. Yep, that's what I'm going with.

(my after picture)

Do you have a good snow related story that you 
could share for when I come back in to warm up?  
Share in the comments!

5 comments:

Queen Holly the Magnificent said...

Oh my. I know your pain. Do you have any rock salts? They will melt ice pretty well, along with providing traction.

Kp said...

We've got the pet-safe ice melt stuff. I'm gonna put a layer on once i chip the bulk of the ice away. Blargh.

Danielle said...

Dress warm. Grab a giant axe and go for it.

I wish I had tips, but I'm not usually the one out there. My husband works the plow. I make the snowmen and the hot chocolate for later.

We don't get the lake effect, we get thunder snow. But same idea, tons of snow dumped down rapidly, causing lots of issues. From inside it's wonderful, until you have to go out in it.

Anonymous said...

You guys need a snow thrower! I am surprised the mister doesn't have a two stage 32" monster since yall do live in Michigan.

Kp said...

I have this very strong feeling that Anonymous is, in fact, The Mister in disguise, trying to convince me we need to spend a butt-load of money on a snowblower for our single-car-width driveway that usually has two cars parked in it and therefore only has about 10 square feet of area to be shovel. But, Anonymous, just in case you're not, we don't have one because it would be a waste of money for the space we would use it on. :)