Monday, August 13, 2012

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - but not quite in that order.

Had a great weekend in Green Bay with friends and family.  Fantastic to see a few people that I hadn't gotten to catch up with in years.  The shower was lovely; mum did a great job.  And Fiance and I have started laying the foundations of couple-dom with the wonderful gifts we've had bestowed upon us already.  All great things, so thank you to all involved there.

Also while in Green Bay?  A quick stop at TJMaxx one night for no other reason than to find the ugliest thing possible in the store and try it on (mum and I may have  had a few drinks before we had this grand idea).  I promise this was so much more horrible in real life - the wilted flowers sewn onto every square inch of this dress kind of look more like wet cotton balls from a distance, and that horrible bow!  I believe even the most svelte of us would look like they were trying to hide a gut behind that.  The best part was that the TJMaxxionista price was 200 bucks.  TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS for this:

I'm so excited.

New Idea:  I really want to launch a website where people can upload pictures of themselves wearing the ugliest things they can find in stores, and then I would post a picture of the person who actually bought that garment without any sarcasm or malice and how they styled themselves in it.  Because I really want to know who would possibly look good in that.  Aren't you curious? 

Do you play this game too?  What was the ugliest thing you ever found?

Meanwhile, mum tried on a strapless snake-skin baggy pant-dress thing with a chain-link belt.  You may be able to tell that just from this description, Mum totally won this round.  But then she refused to let me take a picture of it, because she's a party-pooper.  I laughed so hard I cried.  You should see if your local TJMaxx has it so you can laugh too.  It's in the dress section.  Straight from the 70's.

EDIT:  Thank goodness for Google.  This is what she tried on.  Even this model looks awkward in something so ridiculous.  

So long story short there, many apologies to the lady in charge of the dressing room at the TJMaxx in Green Bay.  Because I'm sure we were super obnoxious in our critiques and laughter, and because we tried on a bunch of stuff fully knowing we were just going to leave it behind for you to restock.  

Have you ever worked in retail?  
Was it annoying when people did this in fitting rooms 
(because I know we're not the only two people who try on things just because they're super ugly),
 or do you kind of join in the fun?  (seriously, you think it's ugly too, right? laugh with us!)

All this unpacking and moving things around has officially done in my hand.  Specifically my thumb on my right [aka drawing] hand.  I definitely strained it last week in the craziness of putting everything from Mexico away. 

I tried to do the "walk it off" type thing and thus more or less ignored it up until last night.  I couldn't draw, because I couldn't keep my thumb bent around the pencil.  The reoccurring feeling that my hand was made of old rubber bands that were starting to rip just a little bit every time I flexed my finger was unappealing.

I gave up with the right hand and tried (...mostly failed) to be ambidextrous... Fiance's note was a little less than polished this morning.

Then I woke up this morning and noted that I had appeared to have one of those squeezable water tube stress toys attached to my hand.  You know what I'm talking about, right?  These things:

Both come in puple.  Except mine didn't have swirly glitter in it.  Bummer.

I've come to the conclusion that this isn't gonna go away until I find a way to stop using my thumb on that hand for a bit.  Being right-handed, this poses a "fun" challenge. I am now the owner of a lovely 50% off thumb immobilizer from Walgreens.  Super Schmexy.  You know you're jealous.

So I can maybe draw again.  And I can maybe unload the car from all the cool shower gifts we got. 


3 comments:

rcohan_1989 said...

I can't get over that first dress..... and $200 as well? smh

Rikki said...

Do you happen to watch Project Runway? I was dying when I saw Heidi in this outfit. It is strangely reminiscent of your mom's lovely outfit.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/season-10/photos/episode-2-pictures#id=39

It's hard to see in that picture, so feel free to click this link for a close up of the top. Then imagine it head to toe.

http://www.possessionista.com/2012/08/heidi-klums-off-shoulder-snake-top-on.html

Wish I could have made the shower! Sounds like it was a fun weekend.

Amanda Babcock said...

Wow! That sounds like so much fun KP. I used to do the same thing once in awhile in college but now that you mention it I should be doing it nowadays : D It's the little things in life!