Monday, August 20, 2012

Shut the Front Door.

Ten days until Fiance is back in the states, and hanging out with me, and I can look at his face whenever I want.  Except for when he's at work.  Details - the point is: 10 days.

Not that I'm counting or anything.

Who am I kidding, there's a paper chain.


I wanted to get the house as put together as possible before he arrives home to see it, a sort of validation for me being here all this time by myself sans employment.  (to clarify, this is not something Fiance puts on me, but it's something I worry about on my own a lot.)

So as you recall, in the past two months I have...
I've wanted to paint the front door for about 8 months or so.  I saw this color combo on another blog and I fell in love with it.  So I pitched it to Fiance, and he gave his classic "whatever you want to do, I don't care" response.  Still, I feel like in the back of my head, that all the colors I picked for the rest of the house were fairly neutral decisions.  

What I'm saying here is I saved the front door for last hoping that if Fiance had any big objections to anything else I'd done, he'd see the pictures in the blog, voice said concerns, and then I wouldn't paint the door.  But he didn't.  So I did. Hopefully it doesn't shock him too terrible much.  What color did I choose?

Yellow.  Specifically the yellow that I somehow got on the middle of my forehead.


Prior to this yellow (which is called Yellow Gold by Behr, if you were curious), the front door was bright blue (see above).  It was good.  I mean, it was a color other than white, so I'm not complaining.  Once I painted the dining room a blue-gray, however, I really started to dislike how the blue of the front door clashed with the blue of the walls in the room said door opened into.  

So painting happened.  And while I waited for the paint to dry, I spruced up a wreath to go on said door.  I'm a firm believer that wreaths are not just for the holidays - as long as they're done right they can be a great year-round accent on a door that makes your entry look that much more welcoming.  Thus:

Wreath that's had fake sunflowers stuck in it since June (again, see above)
-
Old fake sunflowers
+
$ 3.49 sprig of "berries" from Meijer  (Meijer is Michigan's answer to Wal-Mart, for you non-native Michiganders)
+
Jute-wrapped cardboard Monogram
=
Awesome late-summer wreath for a total of $3.50



This is one of those crafts that I do just to fill space until I take the time to actually do something nice.  Except this one turned out really a lot nicer than I had thought it would, so I think it gets a permanent home.  I can add orange leaves and tiny fake pumpkins in the fall.  I can add poinsettias in the winter.  I can add "forget me not" blue flowers in the spring.  Boom.  Awesome.


Lessons learned in this craft:
  • picking the swirly typeface does look prettier, but it is hella harder to cut out/ wrap with jute.
  • hot glue - still living up to it's name.


 the ease of stuffing berries in the wreath gave me some phenomenal false confidence.

 swirly M was WAY more swirly before the exact knife came into play.  Editing on the fly.  Go me.

my ugly "oh crap it's burrrrrrrning" hot glue face.

Pair that wreath with the door, and... well lookit it!  I am all about tootin' my own horn right now.  Here's hoping it isn't too much for Fiance. :)
 now we need a full screen door instead of the white half-door thing. 
 and a doorbell that rouge trick or treaters haven't punched in.  
ugh.  more projects.

coming into the house

That light beam?  Oh you know, it's just the heavens parting and 
the angels smiling upon our front door of awesome.

But maybe he'll read this tonight, and then he'll have 10 days to get used to it.
Or 9, because by tonight, today won't really count anymore.
Or 8, because the day he actually gets here doesn't count either.

Right?
8 days until Fiance is home!

Are you the decorator of your home?  
What project is your big pride?  Share in the comments!
(And if you're not the decorator - 
what have you come home to that your other half has done
 which you were either pleasantly surprised with, or... well, that it took you a while to let it sink in?)


PS.  Real-life friends, rejoice.  I made myself Mexican Beans today and they are JUST as delicious here in the U.S. as they were in Mexico.  Tomorrow I tackle tacos.  And then?  Dinner party.  Ooooo-lé.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your fiancé loves it!

Queen Holly the Magnificent said...

I like it. Although I would have to paint the rest of the house to go with it, which is why I don't do things like that.