Monday, July 02, 2012

Some Assembly Required: BABY It's Hot Outside

a nod to my favorite Christmas song in the title there.  What-what Christmas in July.

Friend, and bridesmaid, Kate, of foodie blogging fame, is just a few short weeks away from welcoming her first little one into this world, and one of our mutual friends is hosting a baby shower for her this weekend.  I asked to help, since I mean, I'm here - why not!? (and also because Kate's obviously a good friend!) and I was put in charge of baby games.

The games are your traditional baby-shower fare, so I won't bore you there, but when it came time to figure out prizes, I wanted to do something that people would like, that had a cute vibe to them (because babies are cute and I wanted to keep a theme), and that was something Kate would dig.  I remembered a few years ago when BFFJ sent me some mason jars with cookie mix in them (just add an egg and throw 'em in the oven for home made fresh cookies!) and I decided to recreate the awesomeness.

I'd title this a tutorial, except there isn't really much to tutor you on:  you get the ingredients, put them in a jar in the order listed, then label it with some instructions for the recipient.  So instead we'll just say I'm spreading the awesome a little further in the world.  Here's the tips, tricks, printouts, and recipes for the jar goodies I put together today:

Tips:  You're going to need a funnel with a wide mouth.  Or a clean piece of paper that you roll up like a funnel.
Tricks:  After each ingredient is added, use the heel of your palm to tap the bottom of the jar a few times.  This helps the ingredients settle in and makes clean straight lines of layers when looking at the jar.  It's all about presentation.

Print outs:  Click Here for some Classic Winnie the Pooh themed jar tags! (Winnie the Pooh totally belongs to Disney and I have no intention of earning money off of these downloads so please don't sue me Robert Iger.)
example

Recipies: (Please note I found these all through a search on Recipies.com, BUT I tweaked the order of the ingredients in the jars to get the best stripe contrasts in said jars- those tweaks are reflected below)

Brownies-
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 1/4 cups white sugar
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Blondies- (aka butterscotch brownies)2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup flaked coconut
  • 3/4 cup chopped pecans

Oatmeal Choc. Chip Cookies (I ended up switching the chips for dried cranberries because I can't do math and ran out of chocolate chips when making the regular chocolate chip jars)
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips/ cranberries
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Chocolate Chip Cookies-1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips



A few hours later and favors are ready - I think they turned out pretty cute.



If this comes in handy for you, please let me know in the comments, 
it would totally make my day!
RANDOM SECTION TIME!
1.  Hope everyone out there in bloggity-blog-blog-land is finding ways to stay cool.  Mac is having a hard time with all the heat lately.  Mostly because he's black, so there is no real good way for him to be outside, no matter how much he likes tooling around in the backyard.  So we've seen a few days of him sitting next to the door to go out, being outside for two minutes or less, and then sitting by the door to go in.  Lather Rinse Repeat.  

Unfortunately, our weather is so damned DRY, and combining that with Mac's "delicate skin" (the big baby has skin allergies), it's not real good for him to let his skin further dry out by hosing him off or letting him play in the sprinkler.  He gets all itchy and miserable.  Poor guy.

Except this morning Mac found something "awesome" in the backyard to roll in.  And that solved the back and forth "hose him off" debate in my head, because homeboy was not hanging out in the house until he got a legit bath to wash whatever that was off.

I will never understand what it is about the addition of soap that makes bath time so horrible for a dog who will jump in the sprinkler or a lake without a pause, but Mac wasn't as keen to this morning's plan as I was:

Hey there buddy.  Smellin' pretty rank.  You proud of yourself?
Totally!  I think it was dead.  Probably for a long time.  Awesome, right?

You know that means it's bath time, yes?
Wha - bath!?  But moOoOoOom...

You're not running away.  Come on, let's go outside.
But what about... let's go not outside!  That sounds super fun!  Aww...

That cool water has to feel good.  What's with the grumpy look?
Totally not snuggling with you ever again.  I hate soap.

But doesn't it feel nice to be all clean and get a little breeze through that soggy fur?
I'm gonna make sure I roll on the bed the second you let me in.

Don't judge me.  You talk for your pets too and you know it.
Anywhoozle, after all that, I washed up and gathered supplies for today's super fun crafty-thing:  Baby-shower favors/ prizes!

2.  Dreaded 29 Update:  -15, 14 to go!  I'm past the halfway point now, all downhill from here?  Let's hope.  My first dress fitting is tomorrow, I'm excited to see the results through trying on a dress I ordered before I lost a single pound.

3.  I would like to think I'm not a super fuddy-duddy, but I'm pretty over the fourth of July at this point. Why you ask?  Because the house gets kind of chaotic once the booms begin every night.


4.  You may remember how I caught a baby raccoon.  And then I caught a baby opossum.  And I may or may not have given up hope that the garden-ruining groundhog the trap was set for was stupid enough to actually get caught in said trap.

BUT THEN HOPE WAS RESTORED AND MANKIND REJOICED.  Because I caught that smarmy little jerk!
PROOF.

And a good friend of ours was kind enough to come pick him up and relocate him outside of town.  I couldn't be happier with the outcome.   

Though my neighbor freaked me out a little bit when he saw I'd finally caught this dude.  He suggested instead of "troubling our friend" that I just fill the bathtub with water and put him in there, cage and all, for a few minutes.  

I... that's horrific and cruel and good God who in their right mind would possibly do that in good conscience.  Yes, I was all about shooting him last week - but here's the thing people, you shoot a critter it's done, gone, and if you shoot it right it doesn't feel a thing before it's over.  You throw a critter underwater and it gets a good two minutes of nothing but undiluted terror and pain before it dies.  PETA needs to have an intervention with my neighbor I think.  Moving on.  (And locking my doors.  And keeping close tabs on Bubba and Mac at all times.)

5.  Fiance gave me quite a scare this weekend, and I thought I'd pass it on as a tip for anyone out there who would like some hand-holding on how to leave a phone message.  Specifically, if you are in another country, (or I guess really you don't have to be in another country for this to apply) please never ever call your significant other and leave a message as such:

There has been a mishap.  But don't worry, Fiance is okay.

I guarantee from experience your S.O. will never get to the second part of that message, and will freak out pretty unabashedly, running through every possible horrible thing which could have happened to you, until an hour or so later when she/ he finally gets to talk to you and assure that you are in fact, alive, albeit sore and tired.

For those who are curious: Fiance went this past weekend to Matacanes, which is sort of a pre-packaged outdoor adventure that you can check out in Mexico.  He hiked 10 miles, swam a few more miles, repelled down mountains and even got to do some cliff diving.  And he over-did it, because in addition to all those awesome things he did, he also managed to crack a few ribs and sprain his ankle.  That and freak me out with a poorly-worded voice mail.  So... there's that.  

Have you ever gotten a message that freaked you out but had a good/ funny/ interesting / not what you expected explanation?  Commiserate with me in the comments, please and thank you!

5 comments:

Rikki said...

The only thing I'm going to remember about this post in a week is that your favorite Christmas song is the rape song. Seriously. Listen to the words. It creeps the heck out of me - she is literally not allowed to leave no matter how much she protests. No means no, buddy. And then he roofies her. *shudders*

Kp said...

Wow. WOW.
I guess you can take it that way, and I suppose I'm not going to argue that it is a possible interpretation.
Or you can assume that she's playing hard to get and being coy. Which might make me sound like I'm diminishing the danger of roofies and the importance of consent (not my intent obviously) but I truly have always taken that song as flirting. And since I have poor circulation, I am in fact always cold, it's the kind of flirting I actually do in real life. It speaks to me.

Danielle said...

In love with those cookies in a jar idea! We play a game at Christmas and I always wanted to make those! Nice idea! Much better than the crap one usually receives.

And the little guy in the cage is soooo cute. I couldn't imagine wanting to hurt him either.

Queen Holly the Magnificent said...

Yes. My now husband but then boyfriend were dating long distance and he got hammered. I mean stupid drunk and then called me and told me that he missed me and also hey he was having heart pains and couldn't get to hospital. I freaked out. I spent all night weeping while my roommate tried to comfort me, only to find out in the morning that he was fine. If you are wondering, yes I never let him forget it.

Kate Y said...

Friend! I will pretend I didn't see this before Saturday. But, honestly, I LOVE IT! :)