Wednesday, May 02, 2012

The Magical Fruit.


I'ma share a recipe with you today.  But first, you should know how my morning went:



Honestly.  Are Coffee-Insulated Sippy-Cups a thing?  Because I really truly could use one.  Send me a link if you've seen one, seriously.

And people - don't pour coffee in your eyes.  It hurts a whole gigantic bunch.


On that subject though, there's got to be some similarly embarrassing "failing at drinking a beverage" stories out there.  I want to hear them.  I'll draw a comic of the best one.

Moving on.  Today I decided to share a recipe.  For beans.  Specifically, Frijoles A La Charra, which have easily become my favorite food since moving to Mexico.  Best part?  You can make them in a crock pot, and one pot lasts... well let's see, I made a batch on Monday, it's Wednesday now, and that's totally what Fiance and I are having for dinner for the third night in a row.  

So here's what you're going to need:
  • Crock pot
  • Cutting Board
  • Knife
  • Spatula
  • Laddle
  • Optional:  A wii, wii-motionplus wii-mote, and a copy of Skyward Sword.
(I like to be very thorough in my explanations).

As for ingredients:
  • Half a pound of pinto beans (aka half a bag of pinto beans)
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic
  • Half a pound of bacon
  • 2-3 tomatoes
  • 1 onion
  • 1-2 jalepeƱo peppers
  • A generous bunch of Cilantro (Disclaimer - if you don't like cilantro... you probably shouldn't bother making these beans.  It wouldn't be any good.)
  • 1 can of light-colored beer (I recommend Tecate, I'm pretty sure Miller Lite would do just fine.)
And the actual making:

1.  Put the beans and diced garlic cloves in the crock pot.  Cover with 2-3 inches of water.  Set it on high for an hour.  Go do something fun for half an hour.  I recommend playing the Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword.

2.  Half an hour later (or an hour if you got way to into a particular side-quest), check the pot - the beans should have plumped up and absorbed a lot of the water.  If there is no more water left in the pot, add another inch or two.  Then, break out the cutting board and the pan. 

3.  Cut up the bacon into little pieces, and plunk it into the hot pan.  

4.  As the bacon cooks, chop the onion and the pepper.  


5.  When the bacon is cooked, BUT NOT CRISPY, add in the onion and the pepper.  

6.  As that cooks, chop the tomatoes, and then add them into the pan too.


7.  Once the onion and the tomatoes and peppers are cooked through, chunk all of that into the crock pot with the beans, , stir it up, and set it on low for 6-8 hours.



8.  Go back to saving Hyrule.  (this dude was stupid hard for being the first boss of the game.)

9.  When Fiance calls to say he's on his way home from work, pop open the beer, take a sip just to make sure it's still good, and then dump all that into the crock pot.  



10.  Also add in as much chopped cilantro as you can stand.  Or more.  Really you can't have enough cilantro.  Ever.

11.  Stir it up and serve half an hour later.

How to EAT the beans:
I've said it before here and I'll say it again - this dish is really Mexico's answer to chili.  There is no right or wrong way to eat it (Fiance usually adds a heap of hot sauce and cheese), but let me show you how it's usually served in Monterrey.


1.  In your empty bowl, add some shredded Oaxca cheese (string cheese would be a decent US replacement probably), juice from half a [key] lime, and a crushed up tostada shell.  


2.  Pour your beans atop this mixture.


3.  Savor the pure joy that you're consuming.  Try to repeat to yourself over and over again that yes it's delicious, but eating the whole crock pot would make you a fart balloon for days and that's a poor choice, particularly when you're sharing your home with your Fiance.

So there you have it - Frijoles A La Charra - give 'er a try, 
and if you do, let me know how you like 'em!



RANDOM SECTION TIME!
1.  The Dreaded 29 Update:  -11, 18 to go!

2.  I watched "The Muppets" today.  And yesterday.  And the day before that.  Let me be frank: it's not a fantastic movie, but it is insanely nostalgic.   
If you were a fan of the Muppets from the Jim Henson days (i.e.: you can quote scenes from the Muppets Take Manhattan, you still flail your arms and scream "Yay!" like Kermit when something makes you excited, and you listen to nothing but the A Christmas Together with John Denver during the Christmas season), you should check this out.  I am pretty sure that it wasn't made to be a movie-  I am almost certain that it was made specifically for the fan service.  I might have cried when they sang the Rainbow Connection.  Maybe just a little bit.  I love that there are about a thousand cameos in there, and I like to think that most of those celebrities were more excited to be a part of the Muppet culture than they were for the money.  
So to sum up:  If You=Muppet fan, then The Muppets = awesome.

2 comments:

Kara said...

I am very excited to try these beans! A) We have been slowly trying to get on the whole "meatless monday's" band wagon and B) I may have a slight obsession with my crockpot.

I also just realized that this has bacon, so not technically a qualifier for meatless monday's, but I think it can pass anyways since bacon is love.

Kp said...

Bacon IS love. Ha.

I would venture that you might be able to substitute ... something? But the grease in the bacon is pretty essential so whatever it is it would still need to be pretty high in fat content.

Let me look into that.