Wednesday, March 07, 2012

No I Don't Wanna Do Dat.

The title of this post is a song.  You can listen to it here if you're so inclined.

I didn't say it was a classy song.

Okay.  So I just finished doing the dishes, and wiping down the kitchen counters, and making the bed and throwing in the laundry and picking up the backyard and now I'm writing this blog entry and all of that is kind of killing me because...

This is time I could be reading.

I am a book zombie.  If I get a good enough hard cover in my paws, I will read for days straight, taking interruptions only to... actually I just tried to think of a good reason I would stop reading and even the stuff above doesn't cut it.  I only did all that because I did absolutely none of it yesterday and I think Fiance was a little worried about the state of our home.  I probably would be too if Katniss wasn't in such grave danger.

Poor Fiance.  I'll be awesome again in a day or so, when the books come to a close. Promise.

One of Fiance's co-workers from Michigan came down this week to help with Fiance's project.  Because she's awesome, she asked if there was anything we've been hankering from in the States that she could put in her bag for us.  I asked for the Hunger Games trilogy, because I've heard some pretty good things about it, and while I'm officially more than half way through Spanish Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, it's slow going and the language barrier makes it hard to fully get into a the book.

Plus I've already read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone about 5 times over.  Nothing wrong with a  new literary adventure now and again.

Fiance came home on Monday night with the books.  I cracked the first one open around 9pm, figured I'd read a chapter or two before bed and see how I liked it.

Somewhere around 4AM I finished book one, and it was all my willpower not to sneak back upstairs and grab book two from the mantle on the bed while Fiance sawed logs.  I'm at the third part of the second book now (Catching Fire), trying to pace myself because I always feel a emptiness when a good book series comes to a close.  Still, it's so good I'm going to keep this brief because I need to get back to it.

So instead of reading a skillfully crafted blog post today, I instead urge you to read any of the following, because they're awesome.  Add your own in the comments if you so please!  (also, I put these in with little to no spoilers - please do the same!) ((also also, yes I realize many of these are probably better reads for women, but I think that's probably the demographic for the majority of my readership... and if you're male and have a good suggestion I'm all ears/eyes)):


  1. The Harry Potter series.  If you haven't already read these, I doubt me telling you to is going to push you over the edge.  But there's a reason they're so damn popular- they're good.
  2. Gregor the Overlander series.  If you like Harry Potter, or Hunger Game, you should check these out.  They're written by the same author as the Hunger Games, so they've got a similar "suck you in" feel to them.
  3. The Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire series.  These are the books True Blood is based upon.  They're... honestly they're really kind of cheesy, but they are fun to tear through - you could easily finish one in a day.
  4. The Hunger Games trilogy.  I'm not through with it yet, but I think it's safe to say it's probably riveting the whole way through.
  5. Candygirl.  Diablo Cody from before Juno.  It chronicles her life as a stripper for a year.  And it is fascinating.
  6. The Help.  It was a good movie because it was a good book first.
  7. My Horizontal Life.  Chelsea Handler's first book.  Laugh out loud hilarious.  Actually the first two (Are You There Vodka?  It's Me, Chelsea) are worth reading.  By the third one (Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang) you just get to a point where you realize how horrible of a person she is and it gets hard to read.
  8. Charlie Bone series.  These are in the same vein as Harry Potter or Gregor the Overlander.  They're technically "YA" but they amused me.
  9. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.  A really interesting way to write a "murder" mystery.  And a really interesting look into the world of Asperger's.
  10. The Golden Compass series. These had a lot of criticism a few years back for preaching an Athiest agenda.  Which, if you read far enough into it, they do.  Balance it out by reading the Chronicles of Narnia and you'll be fine.
  11. The Chronicles of Narnia.  These were my go-to reading bread and butter for years.  YEARS.
  12. Who Censored Roger Rabbit.  This is the book the movie is REALLY loosely based upon.  Which is to say they pretty much just took the character names.  It's also an investment- the book went out of print in the 80's, so to find a copy will likely cost you 30 bucks.  But if you like reading as much as I, it's worth it.
  13. I Am A Genius of Unpeakable Evil and I Want to Be Your Class President.  I just... it's just too funny.  Read it.
  14. I am America and So Can You.  This is Stephen Colbert's book, and it made me laugh so hard I couldn't breathe.  Make sure you get the copy that is hard-cover and comes with stickers and a bookmark ribbon, or he will taunt you in the margins of the book the whole way through for being cheap.
So there's my top 14.  Which is really much more than 14 books because many are series.  That should keep you reading for a while.  And if not, tell me what you've read lately that you've loved!  ... If for no other reason than I'm going to be done with this series fairly soon and I'll need something to move on to.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I'm back to my book.

2 comments:

Rikki said...

Let me know as soon as you finish the third Hunger Games. I'm curious to see what you think of the ending.

Kp said...

So I finished them up somewhere around 3:40AM, but I needed some sleep-time to process. I... shall e-mail you!