Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Trick-or-Treat... the boys mostly just got tricks.

Okay, not the post I promised about my and Fiance's costumes (it's coming soon), but worth a quick read.

Yesterday marked Mac's third Halloween. I was excited for it, because the first two were celebrated while we lived on a College campus, and he seemed to LOVE the crazy excitement of people running around dressed up.

Well, mostly it was just an assortment of ladies in short tight dresses topped in a themed hat, or headband with ears (I'm not hating, just making an observation. Work what you got, while you got it ladies ...also that link is NOT SFW - lots of cussin'.) and men dressed as things made from empty beer boxes or a toga (note to all College student readers - these are not the creative costumes you believe them to be).

But they were dressed up, nonetheless. And I'd put Mac in something too - last year he was a lion.


So as this year's October 31st crept up on us, I thought, ACTUAL kids dressed up and trick-or-treating? This is going to be so much fun! I'll sit down by the door with Mac and some candy and we can practice Spanish and Mac'll get to show all the neighborhood kids that he's not a big scary dog really, but a big lovable goo-belly while he gives them all high-fives and plays dead like a champ.

Trick or treating in Mexico, is different. It is a pretty new phenom here - a US import. Some kids embraced that more than others. Which I'm sure you expected just as much as I did. I just didn't really prepare properly. Here are my observations for those of you who are curious regarding the "but just HOW is it different?":


  1. A disfraz (costume), does not have to be a specific thing. Sure, there are plenty of stores that sell pre-made costumes for kids (fruits were apparently a VERY popular go-to this season), but it didn't have to stop at that. Mostly what I saw was "what are the weird pieces of clothing I have in my closet? I'll wear all of those things together." So while in the US, it is pretty customary to ask a kid; "who are you?", here it's more a "oh... what a fun costume! My favorite (before the barkopalypse) was a kid who was wearing a batman costume, with giant yellow sunglasses, red rain boots, and a straw hat. I did see some kids who got the idea of embracing a certain THING to dress as (remember Little Dude? He came to our party as a vampire.). But by and large it was just jumbles of hilarious accessories.
  2. You're apparently really weird if you're an adult without children who dresses up. Go us. More on that next time.
  3. You have to sing a song to get candy. I noticed, for the approximately 5 minutes I actually participated in the trick-or-treating, that candy was not given at other houses until they sang the song. And it seemed, the louder the kid was, the more candy they got. What is this song you ask? I googled the lyrics just for you dear readers:
Somos los angelitos
del cielo bajamos
pidiendo calabacita
para que comamos…
¡Calabacita, tía!
HALLOWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

We are fallen angels from heaven,
asking for treats that we would eat . . .
Give me a treat, auntie!
HALLOWEEN!

My understanding is that there's another version that's a little more crass... kind of the "trick or treat, smell my feet..." of Mexico. But I mostly heard the one above (I think because it's mostly real little kids in our neighborhood). If you want a different US perspective on this tradition, I recommend this article, which made me laugh pretty hard.

Because you have the benefit of reading this in a linear manner, you can probably see right where this is going. I... did not have such foresight. But listen. Four children who have enough weird clothing on to look like they are not people, screeching a song at the top of their lungs as they run across the street at you? Well unless you're a human who kind of knows what's going on, that's more or less a ticket to panic show, party of one.


In summary, Mac about had an anxiety attack. And as a result of that anxiety attack, he fired up the barkpocalypse, and now instead of just being kind of cautious of the new big dog on the block, all the neighborhood children are certifiably terrified of him. What I found funny about the whole thing, is that the group of children who bum-rushed us to get candy, screamed in fright when the dog started barking, but still sang the song as loudly as they could. Which scared the dog even more, so I literally threw candy at their bags to get them to shut up. Which confused THEM even more, because apparently it's really taboo to get candy before you finish the song.

Long story short, after the first group of kids, we put out a bowl with a "take a few, please" sign (in Spanish, clearly). Then went upstairs to the back room and watched a movie with the volume up so Mac could chill out a bit. Lame.

Bubba survived yesterday's hub-bub with little to no effort. So when he got his trick-or-treat this morning, I was largely unprepared. It didn't actually have anything to do with Halloween. The bug just had good timing.

The bug?
A very large Mexican stink bug, or TRICK, which Bub mistook for a protein-rich treat.
And Bub, taking his "household pest hunter" role very seriously, did not see what was coming until it was FAR too late.


Because I'm a very mean cat-mum, my plan of action was to get the camera first. I was not able to catch a picture of the gallons of frothy drool that cat produced after he bit the stinkbug and got a mouthful of gross (there's a little bit of spit on his back in the first pic), but I did get a good shot of both his shame/ embarrassment, and of his eye, which is still kinda shut. The stinkbug, in case you were worried, is 100% unharmed.

And Bubba is okay now too really. But it would seem we're all ready for Halloween to be over and done with already. So much for my favorite holiday. :)

No comments: