Monday, July 11, 2011

Three Part Blog!


I have a couple of different ways in my head that I can see this post going.
  • The first would be a sort of FAQ regarding our move to Mexico.
  • The second, a recap of the weekend, which was jam-packed with trips to see friends and some of boyfriends giant family.
  • The third, I could flip out about the tree.
Since each of those would be a fairly quick post in itself, let's go for a three-parter, shall we?

Part One: The FAQ -aka- Preguntas más frecuentes.
Or really, let's go with answers that I have repeated so many times now its a wonder I'm not doing such in my sleep.
Yes:
  • We know it is dangerous. There is crazy shit going on in Mexico right now, and that is unfortunate. I'm not going to guarantee I won't get kidnapped or shot or whatever, but you know what? Those things could happen here too.
  • We are bringing Mac AND Bubba
  • The company will pay for our home down there
  • I will be careful/ I will bring my big vicious doberman where ever I go/ I will keep an eye on boyfriend
  • Sí, hablo Español. At least well enough for people to understand the basic gist of what I'm asking, and really, there are a ton of people down there who are more than happy to use Americans to practice their English. Boyfriend speaks a bit too, and we're in the unique/ lucky boat that I know book-trained Spanish, spelling, pronunciation, and grammar. He knows slang, proper context, and situational Spanish. We're a good combo.
  • YOU CAN DRINK THE FLIPPING WATER. You just have to be smart about it. If there is a sign that says "don't drink THIS water" or "No Gringos," ...well you don't drink THAT water, or eat THAT food. I know this is a common stereotype for Mexico. Reality is that's super unfortunate - and it makes you look ignorant and superior for being so indignant about it when I tell you its no big deal.
  • I will totally send you a postcard if you provide me your address, but keep in mind that the postal system isn't what is used to be in the wake of digital mail - you're likely going to have a wait time of a month+
  • I am aware that I don't like spicy food. I can adapt. I'm not worried, you shouldn't be either. :)
No:
  • You cannot talk us out of going. We are aware of the risks and are both going to hate ourselves if we don't take this once in a lifetime opportunity. But honestly, I am humbled that you are concerned enough to try. Thank you.
  • I will not have a job. Boyfriend will say that my new title is "Domestic Engineer," but the feminist in me makes me want to sock him in the gut everytime he says it. I will paint, I will blog, I will keep up the house in the wake of boyfriend's long hours, and ultimately, I will be someone along for the ride with him to go through the experience and relate to.
  • Housing is not super cheap. There are things that are less expensive up here than down in MX, but housing is not one of those things (at least in our case because the company is putting us in the safest neighborhood they could find). In reality, when boyfriend goes down there, his Mexican friends will ask him to bring them American goods because they are either not available or they are much cheaper here.
  • I am not stupid enough to think my large black dog should be outside in 100+ degree weather for any longer than it takes him to pee. He is basically an indoor dog right now, there is no reason for that to change.
  • No one is going to make Mac or Bubba into tacos, and the outlook on the rest of the world you're projecting with that question is the reason the rest of the world hates us. Stop it.

Part Two: Weekend Recap
You know what? There isn't too much to recap other than I had a good time, and I think boyfriend did too. We spent some time floating in a pool, we enjoyed an excellent house party that was really more like a block party and featured a live 80's cover band (Skeleton Krew is the bomb-diggity people), and hopped out to see some of boyfriend's family and mingle. At the house party I sketched a few of the wee-ones running around. The baby (top two quick sketches) was awesome - he gave the lead guitar a high five because he's awesome.
Also, next time I shall remember to throw my sketchbook in my purse, but now you can see what color the trim for the bathroom is. So that's fun.

Part Three: Tree flip out.
I hate storms. There was a big storm today. And um, so this happened this morning:
That's the front yard. If that tree had gone the other way it would be chillin' in the living room right now. As it stands, that tree is blocking everyone to the right of this picture into the subdivison. Oh, and since it was nice enough incarcerate our neighbors in their houses, this tree also took the power out for the whole neighborhood too. Except us. Which I don't understand, but am TOTALLY okay with.
Anyway, back to this tree. It is not the only one down. In the backyard a neighbor's tree took out half of our fence. A couple houses down a tree went straight into an upstairs bedroom. Down from there, a tree took out a power line which fell into the flooded road, making a lovely death trap lake for three or four houses should they decide to go outside (which hours later is still there and death-like, because the power company hasn't been able to get to it yet). And all the while there were winds going CRAZY and hail and rain falling so hard it sounded like little bullets hitting the windows, and since I'm not real great with storms, Bubba and Mac are not great with storms either. So we had a terrified cuddle party in the basement for a few hours as the power flickered on and off.
Weirdly enough? Right now my biggest concern is that trash pick up is tomorrow and the garbage truck won't be able to get to our driveway. So I parked our can at the end of our neighbors one over. Hopefully they don't mind, and hopefully the garbage truck gets the idea - why there's two cans there instead of one. Wish me luck on that one.

No comments: