Monday, February 28, 2011

Nerding Out.


I don't play Dungeons and Dragons. Or Magic the Gathering. Or the Pokemon card game. I like to say it's because I want to protect my street cred. You know, stay hip, and cool.
But then boyfriend and his family had to go and introduce me to The Settlers of Catan. Did you know when you win a game of Catan, that the other players must respond: "All Hail Queen (or King if applicable) of Catan."
The simulated royalty sucked me in. I'm hooked. It's pitiful. The game is simple in premise, and intellectual in the strategy each player employs to win. But I'm not here to explain the whole thing - check it out if you're so inclined. Here's what you need to know for this post to make sense: The game board is comprised of 19 hexagonal pieces, laid out to represent "Catan," and your impending settlements.
I found a hexagonal cookie cutter online last week. ...cue Cookie Catan.
Settlements marked with hershey kisses, cities represented by rolos, roads are rainbow licorice, andI. I am the queen. All hail me while I dunk the desert and the robber in some milk. :)

No comments: